Residency for Tuition Purposes

Military or Civil Service Residency for Tuition Purposes

Your military service, or your relationship to a service member or veteran, may qualify you to receive the Resident (in-state) tuition rate at Washington State University Tri-Cities if the following apply to you:

Senate Bill 5874 updates eligibility

Senate Bill 5874 goes into effect 6/9/22 updating RCW 28B.15.012. This bill goes above and beyond federal laws by making any student who is eligible for VA educational assistance or rehabilitation benefits a Washington resident student. It also adds new ways to be a Washington resident for certain active-duty military, veterans, and dependents.

Active Duty

  • Active duty military members stationed in the state of Washington.
  • Active duty military members who maintained Washington residency, but are stationed outside of the state.
  • Spouses and dependents of the above.

National Guard (Not Reserves)

  • Member of the Washington Army or Air National Guard.
  • Spouses and dependents of the above.


  • Eligible for the Montgomery, Post 9/11 GI Bill or any student who is eligible for VA educational assistance or rehabilitation per Senate Bill 5874 effective 6/9/22.  The veteran does not need to serve for a certain amount of time or have a certain type of service.  There is no time limit for when the student must enroll after last date of separation.  And the veteran does not need to be actively using education benefits; a Certificate of Eligibility is needed however for eligibility purposes.

Spouses and Dependents

In addition to the situations mentioned above, spouses and dependents can claim the resident tuition rate if:

  • They are eligible for a transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill, and they are starting school:
  • While their sponsor is either on active duty, or
  • If their sponsor is within three (3) years following their last period of active duty.

Apply for Military Resident Tuition

Pullman, Global, Everett, Spokane, and Tri-Cities students: Complete the Military Residency Form and upload the requested supporting documents.

Vancouver students: Visit the Vancouver VA site for your campus specific residency form.

Washington State Residency

Students claiming a resident tuition rate under one of the above military exceptions are advised that this does not change your actual residency status, only the rate of tuition. Students who wish to pursue Washington State residency should consult with the WSU Residency Office. Try this Residency Survey to see if you are eligible.

Note: Washington residency is a requirement of applying for the Washington Need Grant.