Transfer Requirements

Looking for the 2021 Application?

Click on the button below to sign-up and receive notification when our application goes live!

Applying as a transfer student

WSU Tri-Cities welcomes transfer students! You’re considered a transfer for admission purposes if you have attended college since graduating from high school (not including the summer immediately following high school graduation).

If you are still in high school but have earned college credits (e.g., through Running Start), follow the steps for freshman admission. If you are an international student, visit the international admission page.

We require a minimum of a 2.50 transfer GPA and at least 27 semester (40 quarter) hours of transferable credits. If your transfer GPA is less than a 2.50, then we may request additional material from you.


Bernadette Gagnier hadn’t found her ideal career path post life in the U.S. Marine Corps until she discovered that Washington State University Tri-Cities had a wine science program. She said transferring to WSU Tri-Cities was one of the best decisions she’s made to date. Read more…

How to apply as a transfer


The priority application date for fall semester is January 31 and November 15 for spring semester, but we accept transfer applications throughout the year. To be considered for merit-based awards you must apply by the priority application date.


If you have less than a full year of college credit to transfer, we may ask you to also have your high school transcript (or G.E.D.) and test scores (SAT or ACT) sent to WSU.

Transcripts and test scores must be sent directly from the school or testing agency to WSU via postal mail, fax, or an accepted documentation service such as Naviance, Parchment, or Docufide. Please note, we cannot accept official transcripts sent via email.

Washington State University Tri-Cities
Office of Admissions
2710 Crimson Way
Richland, WA 99354
Fax: 509-372-7100


To make sure you receive the highest possible amount of financial help, file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid for HB 1079 students only) by January 31.


For answers, give us a call at 509-372-7250 or send us an email.

After you apply

When we receive your transfer application, the application fee or waiver request and official transcripts from the colleges you’ve attended, the Office of Admissions will review your application and all supporting materials. During our review we’ll determine your total number of transferable college credits, cumulative GPA in the transferable work and which University common requirements (UCORE) you’ve completed. Courses that are applicable to your major will be evaluated by the department you’re planning to major in.

We will notify you of the admission decision by letter once we have completed our review.

For more information on checking your application status through WSU’s secure online portal, visit

Check out the transfer credit equivalency data base to learn more about how to transfer your credits.

Some WSU requirements to be aware of…

While you can surely take care of your graduation requirements after you enroll here, preparing in advance for these two WSU requirements can help you make the most of your time, both before you transfer and after.

Writing portfolio

All students at WSU are required to complete a writing portfolio after reaching 60 credits, which is generally during the junior year.

The writing portfolio consists of two parts:

  • A packet containing three samples of original graded writing from three different college courses
  • A two-part impromptu timed essay

Keep all the papers you write for your college courses. You can use papers written for classes you took at your previous college in your portfolio packet.

See the writing portfolio guidelines for more information.

Certifying in your major

At WSU, most students are advised by the college in which they plan to major. Deciding students are advised in the College of Arts and Sciences until they select a major. In general, students can take care of the prerequisites and certify a major sometime in their sophomore year.

In some programs at WSU, you need to certify your major before you can take upper-level courses in that subject. With advance planning, you may be able to meet certification requirements before transferring.

A few majors, architecture and engineering for example, require specific courses that aren’t available at most two-year colleges, so you might need to plan on completing some prerequisites after you enroll at WSU. For these majors, it’s generally better to transfer to WSU as soon as possible.

Be sure to contact Admissions to see what is required to certify in your major.

Note: This is a guide to the admission process, not a statement of policy. See the WSU General Catalog for official requirements and regulations.