05 Oct Oct. 8-31: WSU Tri-Cities to host variety of diversity and inclusion events in honor of “Outober”
RICHLAND, Wash. – Washington State University Tri-Cities will host a variety of diversity and inclusion events in recognition of “Outober,” a reframing of October in observance of the 30th anniversary of National Coming Out Day.
Outober raises awareness of issues pertaining to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, queer and other underrepresented populations.
“For the past three years, the office of student affairs and the Associated Students of WSU Tri-Cities have joined to together to celebrate Outober and to promote visibility and support of our LGBTQ+ students,” said Katie Banks, WSU Tri-Cities’ instructor of politics and chair of the WSU President’s Commission for Gender Identity/Expression and Sexual Orientation.
Banks said these events present an excellent opportunity to learn more about diverse populations and serve to highlight resources and community that are beneficial for all demographics.
The following events will occur throughout the month of October:
- Raising the Pride Flag
- 8:45 a.m., Monday, Oct. 8, outside the entrance to Floyd
- Diversity and Inclusion in the Classroom (faculty development workshop)
- 3 p.m. – 4 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 10, in Floyd 239
- LGBTQ+ 101 and Community Panel
- 3:30 p.m. – 5 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 11, in Student Union Building 120N
- Second Annual UndocuQueer Conference (register at wsu.edu)
- 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 13, in Student Union Building 120
- Using Power and Privilege for the Greater Good (staff and faculty development workshop)
- 3 p.m. – 4 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 17, in Floyd 239
- Student Leadership and Diversity: Taking Action on Campus and Beyond (by invitation only)
- 10 a.m. – noon, Saturday, Oct. 20, in Student Union Building 120
- Tri-Cities Regional Chamber of Commerce Diversity and Inclusion Summit – The ABCs of LBGTQIA+ in the Workplace (by invitation only)
- 9 a.m. – 10 a.m., Wednesday, Oct. 31, at the Red Lion Hotel
For more information, contact Banks at 509-372-7119 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Katherine Banks, WSU Tri-Cities instructor of politics, philosophy and public affairs, 509-372-7119, email@example.com
Jordyn Creighton, WSU Tri-Cities director of campus student support services, 509-372-7433, firstname.lastname@example.org
Maegan Murray, WSU Tri-Cities public relations specialist, 509-372-7333, email@example.com