S.O.A.R | Student Orientation, Advising & Registration


Frequently Asked Questions

I have taken Running Start and College in the High School courses. Do I still attend SOAR for Freshmen?

Yes. Students who are graduating from high school and starting at WSU Tri-Cities the following fall semester are required to attend one of the First Year Student SOAR event days.

I have attended an orientation on another WSU campus. Am I required to attend orientation at WSU Tri-Cities?

No problem! If you completed the Transfer Admissions Application, advising will contact you and your appointment can be done over the phone.

If you completed the Freshman Admissions Application, you will begin your advising after the first week of SOAR. Academic Advising will contact you to schedule a phone appointment with your assigned advisor.

Will I be dropped from classes if I do not attend SOAR?

No. If you are already registered in classes, you will remain in that schedule until you take action to drop classes. For First Year Students, not attending SOAR will delay registration as that is done at SOAR.

If circumstances change, and you decide not to attend WSU Tri-Cities, you are responsible for dropping your fall and spring classes in myWSU before the first day of classes.

I am currently in a college level math at my high school or local community college. Do I still need to take the ALEKS math placement?

It is highly encouraged to go ahead and take the ALEKS math placement to secure a class schedule and begin the math sequence needed for your academic program.

Several math and science courses have math pre-requisites, and many classes are only offered during the fall or spring terms. Depending on your major, delaying enrollment in math and science courses could have negative impacts on your progression to graduation.

Feel free to email Academic Advising a copy of your current schedule and an unofficial transcript to review. We can then make the best recommendation on whether you need to take the ALEKS.

Helpful Links:

WSU Transfer Credit Search Tool (use the first red link)

I am currently in English composition. Am I still required to take the Writing Placement?

If you are taking English composition through a high school dual credit program, or at your local community college, we will not initially require you to take the Writing Placement. You will want to send all final, official college transcripts so that we can verify that you have taken and passed the appropriate course. If you took the AP exam, please request official scores from College Board to be sent to WSU.

Helpful Links:

WSU Advance Placement (AP) website

WSU Transfer Credit Search Tool (use the first red link)

What is Two-Term Enrollment?

WSU Tri-Cities is the only campus in the WSU system that enrolls students in a full years schedule. At the time of registration, you will be able to enroll for both fall and spring semesters at the same time.

The benefits of Two-Term Enrollment is you can begin planning well in advance, so to better manage your time in and out of the classroom.