Mission statement: to promote an inclusive environment where diversity is respected and valued
As outlined by Chancellor Moo-Young the purpose of the Diversity and Inclusion Council is to assess, advocate, promote, and recommend programs and resources that help WSUTC achieve the following objectives:
- Creating a sense of place
- Creating spaces
- Making everyone feel included
- Connecting with the Tri-Cities community to be a global nexus
- Creating a sense of scholars
For the 2014-15 academic year, the following objectives have been outlined:
- Conduct a strategic planning process that outlines at least 5 major goals for a multi-year strategic plan
- Conduct a comprehensive inventory of current activities and services at WSUTC
- Create an infrastructure that promotes diversity and inclusion activities at WSUTC and the community
- Identify and disseminate best practices to the WSUTC community
WSU Tri-Cities views diversity as the following:
- All the ways people are unlike and alike—the differences and similarities in age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, capabilities, socioeconomic background and all the other human dimensions that make us unique.
- The mosaic of people who bring a variety of backgrounds, styles, perspectives, values, abilities, and beliefs as assets to the groups and organizations with which they interact on campus and beyond.
- Diversity pertains to everybody.