A Place for Student Concerns


WSU Tri-Cities wants to ensure all students are treated equally and respected.  The campus wants to provide a consolidated resource to give students direction where their grievances may be heard.

University Ombudsman

Note sure where to start? The primary purpose of the office is to protect the interests, rights, and privileges of students, staff, and faculty at all levels of university operations and programs. The ombudsman is designated by the university to function as an impartial and neutral resource to assist all members of the university community. The ombudsman provides information relating to university policies and procedures and facilitates the resolution of problems and grievances through informal investigation and mediation. The office does not replace or supersede other university grievances, complaint or appeal procedures.

Phone: 509-335-1195
Email: ombudsman@wsu.edu

WSU Tri-Cities Student Grievance Processes and Procedures

Rule 104 provides guidance to the academic complaint process. At WSU Tri-Cities, students should first attempt to resolve issue with instructor, if that fails then the academic director of the department should be consulted. If further resolution is needed, the assistant vice chancellor for academic affairs will intervene.  Be sure you are aware of the time limits for appeal contained in Rule 104 if you are thinking about filing a complaint.

Complaints relating to discrimination on the basis of physical, mental, or sensory disability, including the use of a trained service animal, can be made to the Office of Equal Opportunity. Complaints regarding non-accessible technology can be make to Tim Larreau, the WSU Tri-Cities Information Technology Accessibility Coordinator. Complaints regarding physical access concerns can be made to Randy Slovarp, campus facilities executive.

The Office of Equal Opportunity investigates complaints related to discrimination, discriminatory harassment, sexual harassment, or sexual misconduct. Complaints may be made by phone, email, in writing, or an online form. Reports regarding students may also be made to the Title IX liaison at regional campuses; at WSU Tri-Cities it is Jordyn Creighton, located in Floyd 269, 509-372-7433.

A safe workplace is a priority for WSU Tri-Cities. This form is for those who wish to report an environmental problem, an unsafe workplace condition or practice, or to provide a safety suggestion.

Students are asked to reach out to Student Financial Services in Floyd 269 and ask for a member of leadership. If not resolved, then contact the Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs. If still not resolved, then the WSU Tri-Cities Chancellor. Students are also able to reach out to Student Financial Services on the Pullman campus for assistance with financial aid at 509-335-9711.

Student should first check with their college to determine if there are appropriate steps to take. Otherwise, students are encouraged first to consult with their faculty advisor, then discuss with their program chair or faculty liaison. If still not resolved, students should contact the Associate Dean of the Graduate School. Students are able to submit a formal grievance through the graduate school on issues related to academics and employment.

Office of Student Conduct: Student Conduct, Academic Integrity, and Hazing

Students may report complaints regarding hazing, academic integrity, or violations of the Standards of Conduct for Students. Students may also use this site to appeal or contest a charge.

Petition for Exception to Academic Calendar Deadlines and Withdrawal Limits

Students may, with the payment of a service fee, petition for exceptions to the academic calendar deadlines (e.g., withdrawal after the deadline) or petition for withdrawal from an individual course after the student has used the maximum number allowed. Petitions are considered only in the case of extraordinary circumstances, such as a medical emergency, and require supporting documentation.

If a student feels their concerns have not been adequately address through an established WSU process, students may contact the Washington Student Achievement Council. WSAC has authority to investigate student complaints having to do with the University not following published policy or state law.

Students may have a concern that does not fall into a general process or procedure. This form gives students the opportunity to express a concern. This form is not anonymous as WSU Tri-Cities may need to follow up on the concern.