Admissions at Washington State University Tri-Cities It's a great time to be a Coug!

Residency Requirements

As a state public university, Washington State University Tri-Cities has different tuition rates for state residents and non-residents. State law sets the rules governing who qualifies as a resident for tuition-paying purposes.

How to know if you qualify for resident tuition

Eligibility calculator

Choose your application type and find out if you qualify for a special WUE tuition rate!
  • Freshman
  • Transfer
Enter your high school GPA (based on a 4.0 scale)…

GPA (unweighted):

…and your best SAT score for each of the following

SAT Verbal:

SAT Math:

Enter your current college GPA (based on a 4.0 scale)

GPA (unweighted):

WSU Tri-Cities will let you know whether or not you qualify for resident tuition in your admission materials.Generally speaking, if you and your family live permanently in Washington state and have been living in-state for at least the last year, you’re considered a resident for tuition purposes. If you do NOT live in Washington and do not intend to establish residency, you may qualify for a reduced tuition rate through the Western Undergraduate Exchange. Freshmen and transfer students starting at WSU Tri-Cities in Spring, Summer, and Fall 2016 who live in participating states may receive our special WUE tuition rate of 150 percent of WSU Tri-Cities’s in-state tuition.WUE award requirements for freshmen are based on a combination of your cumulative grade point average (GPA) and SAT or ACT test scores. The WUE award requirement for transfers is a 3.0 GPA. Simply apply as a Freshman or Transfer student — be sure to select the Tri-Cities Campus on the application — and an Admissions Counselor will follow up with you on your WUE eligibility.WUE states include Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

How to establish residency for tuition-paying purposes

To apply for residency status, you’ll need to complete a form and provide some verification; see the WSU Registrar’s Office residency page for more information on the state’s criteria and for the forms you need.If you’re not sure whether you should apply for residency status, or if you have questions about the verification process, contact the WSU Registrar’s Office at 509-335-5346.

Native American students

Members of any federally recognized American Indian tribe whose customary and tribal boundaries include portions of Washington are eligible for resident tuition under certain circumstances, as provided by RCW 28B.15.0131 .If you have any questions, please call the WSU tribal liaison at 509-335-8618.

Graduate students

Special residency criteria apply to graduate students who have teaching or research assistantships. If you’ll be moving into Washington to attend graduate school, contact your academic department (or the registrar’s office) for information on residency procedures.
Note: This is a guide to the admission process, not a statement of policy. See the WSU General Catalog for official requirements and regulations.