Academic Reinstatement WSU Tri-Cities

Former/Returning Students


I have not attended WSU for one semester or more. The last semester I was enrolled, my semester and/or cumulative grade point average was below a 2.00.

1. Apply for admission to WSU

If you were out of the University for two semesters or more, not including summer, you need to apply for admission as a Former Student to Washington State University Tri-Cities.If you have only been out of school for one semester (can include summer), you do not need to reapply to WSU.

2. Request transcripts

If you have taken classes at another institution since attending WSU or are currently enrolled at another institution, you will need to submit official transcripts to the Office of Reinstatement. Official transcripts for grades earned at other institutions and progress reports for currently enrolled classes must be sent or hand delivered to the Office of Reinstatement before a decision can be reached.

WSU Tri-Cities
Office of Reinstatement, West 269
2710 Crimson Way
Richland, WA 99354

You may also need to send a final official transcript to the Office of Admissions.

If you have not taken classes at another institution since attending WSU, you do not need to provide transcripts.

3. Complete Application and Personal Statement

Complete a Former Student Application for Reinstatement and a Personal Statement. Your Personal Statement must include the following information:

  • Student name (Last, First, Middle Initial)
  • Student ID number
  • Date and semester/year

Applications for Reinstatement and Personal Statement must be typed.

Handwritten Reinstatement Applications and Personal Statements will not be accepted.

Click here for Tips for Completing the Personal Statement

For best results, save the application to your computer and fill out the downloaded PDF using Adobe Acrobat Reader. Acrobat Reader is available for free at

Download the Former/Returning Student Reinstatement application.

4. Provide Documentation

You may provide documentation to support your personal statement. For example, if serious illness prevented you from successfully completing the semester, provide documentation that you are healthy enough to return to school. Any documentation you provide needs to be official.

5. Students who have been out for four years or more – Forgiveness Rule

If you have been out of WSU for four or more years, you may request Academic Forgiveness, (Rule 43).  Please read the regulation to determine if Rule 43 is beneficial to you (you may wish to consult your advisor). If you decide you would like to apply under Rule 43, you will need to include your request for Rule 43 with your Reinstatement Application and Personal Statement.  Your request for Rule 43 may only be submitted with your Reinstatement Application.Rule 43. Former WSU students, dismissed under any academic deficiency rule, who have not been enrolled at WSU for four years or more may request at the time that they apply for readmission and reinstatement that all previous WSU work be disregarded. This includes all credits and grade points earned. Once the student is officially enrolled following the first day of the term, the student’s transcript will be marked to indicate that the previous work is not considered as credit earned. After completion of 15 semester hours of course work with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher at WSU, the student may petition to restore credits earned in courses graded C or better. If approved, only the courses and credit, not grades or grade points, will be restored. Requests for reinstatement and petitions for credit restoration for former WSU students will be considered by the Review Board in the Center for Advising and Career Development on the Pullman campus, WSU Online, or designated office on other campuses.If you wish to consult your advisor, visit the advising website for contact information:

6. Make an appointment for a reinstatement interview

Call 509-372-7358 to schedule your appointment.

7. Submit your documents

Bring your application for reinstatement, personal statement, documentation (if applicable), transcripts (if applicable) and pay your fee at the Students Accounts Office for payment just prior to your interview.Application Fees:
Rule 38 – $50.00 (first time deficient)
Rule 39 – $75.00 (second or subsequent time deficient)
You can pay by cash, check, money order or credit card.   Make checks payable to WSU.  Click here for Reinstatement Credit Card Information. For questions, please contact Student Accounts.

WSU Tri-Cities
Student Accounts, East 254
2710 Crimson Way
Richland, WA  99354

If you have financial aid questions after going through this application process, please contact the financial aid office:

If you have tuition questions, please contact Kathy Harper in Student Accounts at 509-372-7498.

8. Notification of Decision

You will receive your reinstatement conditions at the time of interview.