Who Can Apply?
- Current students in any WSU graduate degree program are eligible to earn the certificate if they meet the prerequisites of the courses needed for the certificate.
- Students not in degree programs are eligible to earn the certificate if they meet the prerequisites of the courses needed for the certificate. They will be admitted with the status of Not-Advanced-Degree-Candidate (NADC) as defined by the Graduate School.
Students Not Eligible to Apply:
- International students who intend to enroll solely in certificate courses
- Undergraduate students
To qualify for admission as a Graduate Certificate student you must:
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited post-secondary institution
- Meet all prerequisite course requirements or be able to demonstrate equivalent knowledge and understanding for courses prior to enrollment
- Be a part-time student
- Enroll in eligible courses on a space-available basis
- Be admitted, upon recommendation from the academic unit, to the Graduate School as a certificate student.
- Pay existing graduate tuition and fees.
How to Apply
If you are currently enrolled in a WSU graduate program:
The Graduate School office uses the same form (Application for Graduation for Graduate Certificate form) to both apply to the certificate program as well as to graduate from it. The form can be found at www.gradschool.wsu.edu/Documents/PDF/AppforGradforCertificates.pdf. Please complete the form prior to enrollment in the first course, and then send it as an email attachment to our department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our certificate committee will review the application and, if admission is recommended, the Chair of the Certificate Committee will sign the form and forward it to the Graduate School office for you. You should pay the certificate fee of $25 at the WSU Student Accounts office. The Dean of the Graduate School grants final approval of admission to a certificate program, and that office will send you an email regarding your status.
If you are NOT currently enrolled in a WSU graduate program:
Please complete the online application found at https://www.applyweb.com/apply/wsug, indicating your interest in the certificate program. Please also send your resume and a statement of purpose to our department as an email attachment at email@example.com. The statement of purpose should include the reason for your interest in the certificate program. Once all the application material is received, our Certificate Committee will review the application and, if admission is recommended, we will notify the Graduate School office. The Dean of the Graduate School grants final approval of admission to a certificate program, and that office will send you an email regarding your status. If you later decide to pursue formal admission to the Graduate School to pursue an advanced degree, please see the instructions at www.gradschool.wsu.edu/FutureStudents/Admission/GradCertProgram.aspx. Please note that admission to a certificate program does not guarantee admission to a graduate program.
Apply to Graduate
On the Application for Graduation for Graduate Certificate form, you listed a semester/year when you expected to receive the certificate. If you submitted the form by the application for degree deadline for that semester/year, and completed the coursework, then the Graduate School office will process your graduation for then (the deadline can be found on the Graduate School Deadlines & Procedures for Graduation form found at www.gradschool.wsu.edu/Forms. They will start graduation clearance about a week after the semester ends. Once you have cleared, your degree will be posted. Your diploma will be mailed approximately six weeks after the semester ends.