Visit our Career Development Center for assistance with your internship!
Here is the process for a successful internship
1. Obtain an internship employment offer or conduct an internship at your current place of work. Ensure that your internship will be supervised by an Electrical Engineer or other similarly qualified professional.
2. Complete and sign your Internship Proposal, using the Internship Proposal template. Request your Internship Supervisor to sign your Internship Proposal as well.
3. Submit your Internship Proposal to the Internship Coordinator by e-mail.
4. After receiving approval from the Internship Coordinator, register for E_E 495 for up to 3 credits.
5. Begin your internship, carrying out the work described in the Internship Proposal. Throughout the internship, keep a concise journal, with entries on each internship day, of:
- tasks attempted
- difficulties encountered
- resolutions applied
- discussions conducted with supervisor and/or team members
- reflections you made about your experience
6. Submit your journal by e-mail to the Internship Coordinator at the end of each internship week. All the weekly journals will have to be added to the final Internship Report as an appendix.
7. Schedule a Site Visit for the Internship Coordinator, who will meet with you and your supervisor at the internship site to assess your internship. The site visit will have to take place toward the end of the internship and before the end of the semester.
8. Complete your Internship Report, using the Internship Report template. The work described in the report should correlate with the work proposed in the proposal.
9. Before the end of the semester, submit your Internship Report by e-mail to both the Internship Coordinator and your supervisor. Request your supervisor to send by e-mail, before the end of the semester, his or her comments about your internship work to the Internship Coordinator.
10. Before “finals” week, schedule and attend a meeting with the Internship Coordinator for an internship debriefing. After the debriefing, the Internship Coordinator will enter your E_E 495 grade.