Academic Programs at WSU Tri-Cities College of Education

Add-on Endorsement Program

Add-On Endorsements offered at WSU Tri-Cities

Getting started

Teachers wishing to add an endorsement through WSU can complete classes as either a graduate student or non-degree student (non-degree seeking post-baccalaureate students are not eligible for Financial Aid).

  • To apply as a non-degree student, you must apply for undergraduate admission at
  • To apply as a graduate student, you must apply to Graduate School at, and select the Tri-Cities campus.
  • Complete an add-on endorsement application packet and submit it to Helen Berry at the address listed below. A complete application packet must include:
    • Completed Add-On Endorsement application
    • Copy of a valid teaching certificate
    • Official transcripts from each institution attended (except WSU)
    • Completed Self-Evaluation Worksheet if you have taken any courses you believe will count toward the endorsement you are pursuing
    • A $50 check payable to WSU for evaluation verification/application fee
    Send these materials to Helen Berry at

    Helen Berry
    2710 Crimson Way
    Richland, WA 99352

Completing Endorsement Coursework Away From WSU

You are not required to complete all of your coursework at WSU, however 50% must be completed with us, including any methods coursework. If you would like to take a course from another institution, you must receive approval from WSU prior to enrolling in the course.


In addition to completing all of the coursework outlined by WSU, you must pass the WEST-E for the endorsement to be added to your certificate.

Adding the Endorsement to Your Teaching Certificate

After you complete the required course work, you must apply to add the endorsement to a valid Washington certificate.

Once you have submitted your completed application, your name will be forwarded to the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) for a new certificate. In the interim, you will receive a temporary 180-day permit with the new endorsement.


Credits toward an add-on endorsement can be earned at either the undergraduate or graduate level. View current tuition and fee costs. Although non-degree seeking post-baccalaureate students are not eligible for financial aid, there are several state and federal programs available for teachers in certain high need areas (i.e., special education, math, science, etc.).

  • The Professional Educator Standards Board offers an Educator Retooling Program to support teachers who wish to add endorsements in high need areas. WSU students planning to apply for the Educator Retooling Program must complete a program of study.
  • The Future Teachers Conditional Scholarship and Loan Repayment Program is designed to encourage outstanding students and paraprofessionals to become teachers, and encourage current teachers to obtain additional endorsements in teacher shortage subjects.
  • The U.S. Department of Education offers two programs through which qualifying teachers may have their student loans forgiven or cancelled. Visit the Federal Student Aid webpage for more information on the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program and the Teacher Cancellation Program.

Self-Evaluation Worksheets

Instructions for completing the self-evaluation for adding an endorsement

Certified teachers who are interested in adding an endorsement to their current Washington certificate through Washington State University (WSU) will need to complete a Self-Evaluation Endorsement Worksheet.

Choose the worksheet for your chosen endorsement area. On the worksheet, list the courses you have taken that you believe are equivalent to WSU’s requirements. If possible, submit a course description (from the college/university catalog), a syllabus, or additional documentation.

Once you have completed the Self-Evaluation Worksheet, you will submit it with your Add-On Endorsement application to Helen Berry. A WSU representative will review your transcripts and determine if the courses you listed are acceptable. Do not complete the third column, this will be completed by the evaluator.

If you disagree with the evaluation you will need to provide additional documentation from the college/university catalog or a syllabus for review.

All courses used for endorsement purposes must be completed at a regionally accredited college/university with a “C” (2.0) or higher. If you would like to take a required course from an institution other than WSU, you will need to receive WSU approval PRIOR to taking the course.

Contact information:

Helen Berry
2710 Crimson Way
Richland, WA 99354