Foundation Course requirements (21 credits)
This requirement is designed to accommodate the diversity of entering students with varying academic backgrounds while ensuring a solid foundation in all business areas. Applicants must demonstrate competency in the following MBA foundation coursework before enrolling in the MBA program. They may do this by presenting a bachelor’s degree in business from an AACSB or EQUIS accredited institution with an equivalent GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale. Applicants who do not meet the business degree requirement must complete the appropriate foundation coursework from an AACSB or EQUIS accredited or other approved business program prior to enrollment in the MBA program. Applicants must have an average grade of B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) for all foundation courses with no more than 2 grades below a B.
- MgtOp 215 (Statistics) or equivalent course
- EconS 404 (Economics for Managers) or equivalent macro and micro economic courses
- Acctg 550 (Introduction to Financial and Managerial Accounting) or equivalent financial and managerial accounting courses
- BLaw 210 (Law and the Legal Environment of Business) or equivalent course
- MgtOp 340 (Operations Management) or equivalent coursework
- Mktg 360 (Principles of Marketing) or equivalent coursework
- Fin 325 (Principles of Finance) or equivalent coursework
After completing the business foundation requirements, MBA students may begin their program.
- MgtOp 590 Strategy Formulation and Organizational Design
- MgtOp 593 Managerial Leadership and Productivity
- Acctg 533 Accounting, Performance Measurement, and Controls
- Fin 526 Financial Management
- Mktg 506 Marketing Strategy
- BA 514 Business Analytics: Transforming Data into Decisions
- BA 579 MBA Assessment Capstone
Technology Management Certificate Requirements (9 credits)
All WSU Tri-Cities MBA candidates will complete nine semester hours of approved elective coursework that completes the MBA electives as well as earn a graduate certificate in Technology Management. The graduate electives in Technology Management are:
- MIS 580 Management Information Systems
- MgtOp 581 Operations Management
- MgtOp 589 Seminar in Management: Six Sigma
Final 702 Presentation Requirement (2 credits)
In order to complete the MBA program, students must sign up for two credits of MgtOp 702 during their final semester, for a faculty directed written/oral presentation. This presentation will be broad-based business case study format that analyzes an existing business or new business venture. The student will be asked to use the most appropriate visual aids available to present their analysis to the committee using the following format:
- (5 minutes) — Introduction of the salient and important elements of the case and a clearly explained “problem statement.”
- (5 minutes) — Brief discussion of important industry and organization factors and a specific recommendation for management action(s) to resolve your defined problem statement.
- (20 to 30 minutes) — Major discussion, analysis and presentation of data to support and explain your recommendations.
The student may use any and all resources available as they prepare, but the actual presentation must reflect their own analysis and be their own conclusions. The student is encouraged to contact their committee chair if they have any questions regarding this process. In addition students will provide a written comprehensive paper over all major concepts within the curriculum. Students will work closely with the faculty member they select to chair their 702 committee for guidance.