Xiao Zhang, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor & Scientist
The Gene and Linda Voiland School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering
Washington State University, Tri-Cities Campus
2710 Crimson Way
Richland, WA 99354-1670
Research and Teaching Interests
Currently an assistant professor in the School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering, Dr. Xiao Zhang has more than 15 years of research experience in the field of pulping, papermaking and forest biorefinery. He brings that knowledge to the feedstock development portion of the Northwest Advanced Renewables Alliance project.
Dr. Zhang has led a research team at FPInnovations Paprican Division to work on developing novel products from forest biomass. The results have led to the implementation of wood prehydrolysis technology in a pulp mill in Canada and a number of pilot trials to convert mill residues to high value bioproducts. His work has greatly enhanced the understanding of the technical and economic feasibility of wood bioconversion processes and generated a significant amount of valuable process information. Dr. Zhang’s long-term goal is to develop innovative approaches to convert renewable biomass feedstock into value-added products to improve the economics of biomass-to advanced biofuel production.
Before joining WSU, Dr. Zhang was senior scientist at FPInnovations Paprican Division in Montreal, Canada, and a lecturer in the Chemical Engineering Department of Nanjing Forestry University in China.
He earned his Ph.D. in forestry at the University of British Columbia in 2001.
- Ma, R.S., Guo, M., Zhang, X.*, Selective Conversion of Biorefinery Lignin to Dicarboxylic Acids, ChemSusChem 7(2):412-415 (2014)
- Ju, X.H., Bowden, M., Engelhard, M., Zhang, X.*, Investigating commercial cellulase performances toward specific biomass recalcitrance factors using reference substrates Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, DOI 10.1007/s00253-013-5450-4 (2013)
- Alvarez Vasco, C., Zhang , X.*, Alkaline hydrogen peroxide pretreatment of softwood: Hemicellulose degradation pathways, Bioresource Technology, 150C: 321-327(2013)
- Dai, Z.Y.*, Aryal, U.K., Shukla, A., Qian, W.J., Smith, R.D., Magnuson, J.K., Adney, W.J., Beckham, G.T., Brunecky, R., Himmel, M.E., Decker, S., Ju, X.H., Zhang, X., Baker, S.E., Impact of alg3 gene deletion on growth, development, pigment production, protein secretion, and functions of recombinant Trichoderma reesei cellobiohydrolases in Aspergillus niger, Fungal Genetics and Biology, 61:120-132, (2013)
- Ju, X.H., Grego, C., Zhang, X.*, Specific effects of fiber size and fiber swelling on biomass substrate surface area and enzymatic digestibility. Bioresource Technology, 144: 232–239 (2013)
- Brown, E., Hu, D.H., Abu Lail, N., Zhang, X.*, “The potential of nanocrystalline cellulose/fibrin nanocomposites for artificial vascular graft applications” Biomacromolecules, 14: 1063-1071 (2013)
- Ju, X.H., Engelhard, M., Zhang, X.*, “An advanced understanding of the effects of xylan, bulk, and surface lignin contents on enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocellulosic biomass”. Bioresource Technology 132:137-145 (2013)
- Radiotis, T., Zhang, X., Paice, M., Byrne, V. 2012. Optimizing Hardwood Prehydrolysis for Simultaneous Production of Bioproducts and Biomaterials. Journal of Bioprocess Engineering and Biorefinery 1: 69-76.
- Bajwa, P.K., Phaenark, C., Grant, N., Zhang, X., Paice, M., Martin, V.J.J., Trevors, J.T., Lee, H*. 2011. Ethanol production from selected lignocellulosic hydrolysates by genome shuffled strains of Scheffersomyces stipites. Bioresource Technology 102(21):9965-9.
- Zhang, X., Paice, M. and Deng, J. ‘Modify pulp and paper mills for biorefinery operations’, in Zhu, J.Y., Zhang, X., Pan, X.J. (Eds). 2011. Sustainable Production of Fuels, Chemicals, and Fibers from Forest Biomass. American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, pp395-408.
- Zhang, X., Tu, M., Paice, M. 2011. Bioproducts from lignocellulosic biomass lignin and hemicelluloses. BioEnergy Research, 4:246–257.
- Jemaa, N., Paleologou, M., Zhang, X. 17-02-2011. Fractionation of a waste liquor stream from nanocrystalline cellulose production, World patent WO/2011/017797.
- She, X.Y., Brown, H., Zhang, X., Ahring, B.K., Wang, Y. 2011. Selective Hydrogenation of trans, trans-muconic acid to adipic acid over supported rhenium catalysts. ChemSusChem 4(8)1071-1073.
- Zhang, X., Tu, M., Paice, M., Sacciadis, G., Jiang, Z., Jemaa, N., Thibault, A. 2010. Bioconversion of knot rejects from a sulphite pulp mill to ethanol. BioResources 5(1), 23-42.
- Tu, M., Zhang, X., Paice, M., Saddler, J.N. 2009. The potential of enzyme recycling during the hydrolysis of a mixed softwood feedstock. Bioresource Technology 100(24):6407–6415.
- Tu, M., Zhang, X., Paice, M., Saddler, J.N. 2009. Effect of Surfactants on Separate Hydrolysis Fermentation and Simultaneous Saccharification Fermentation of pretreated Lodgepole Pine. Biotechnology Progress 25(4):1122–1129.
- Zhang, X., Qin, W. Paice M., Saddler, J.N. 2009. High consistency hydrolysis of pretreated hardwood substrate. Bioresource Technology 100(23):5890-5897.